Reports to: Practice Manager/Physician
Verdi Cancer & Research Center of Texas | Dallas, TX
Horizon Oncology & Research Center | Lafayette, IN
Duties and Responsibilities
- Measures patient height / weight and vital signs. Screens for and documents pain, distress, clinical depression scores.
- Completes “rooming” process including escorting patient to exam room.
- Reviews medication lists and preferred pharmacy information with patient and enters/updates in Electronic Medical Record (EMR) at each encounter.
- Reviews patient allergies and updates in EMR at each encounter.
- Reviews health histories and other assigned historical information with patients since last visit and updates in EMR at each encounter.
- Completes all assigned /required screening questionnaires and records data in EMR.
- Prepares patients for examination and or treatment assuring rooms/chairs are turned over in a manner that promotes efficient workflow.
- Stocks exam rooms and/or infusion room to meet daily needs.
- Verifies accuracy of or works collaboratively with front office staff to schedule appointments and or arrange referrals at the direction of a provider or under the supervision of a nurse.
- Assist during medical examinations and provider performed medical procedures.
- Collects and reports appropriate patient data as assigned and reports changes in patient condition to MD/RN/NP in a timely manner.
- Documents observations in an appropriate and timely manner using population-specific and cultural knowledge when observing, collecting, and reporting data.
- Transports patients.
- Performs assigned role in emergencies.
- Creates work environment that promotes safety for patients and staff. Reports any safety concerns or near misses to the clinic team lead.
- Looks for opportunities to decrease unnecessary delays and if delays are unavoidable, communicates this information with patients in a prompt and honest manner.
- Performs all duties within the scope of a Medical Assistant (procedures, injections, EKGs, phlebotomy) under the direction of the appropriate clinical staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven working experience as a medical assistant or medical secretary.
- Knowledge of medical office management systems and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Social perceptiveness and service oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office and patient management software.
- Demonstrates a positive, respectful, empathetic attitude always.
- Knowledge of OSHA requirements for safe handling of blood and body fluids.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of Medical Assistant Training Program and Current Medical Assistant Certification strongly preferred.
- 6 months experience in a health-care related field or CMA/CCMA certification.
- CPR certified
To apply, submit your resume to [email protected]