Certified Pharmacy Technician
The Certified Pharmacy Technician will prepare parenteral admixtures, including chemotherapy and other medications, for dispensing and will perform administrative functions of the pharmacy department that do not require professional judgment and extensive technical training.
- Clinical Lead and/or Practice Manager
- Prepares prescriptions for dispensing by the nurses and fills stock replacements.
- Prepares labels for IV admixture.
- Assembles and compounds IV admixtures including chemotherapy admixture in a chemo bag.
- Prepares complex chemotherapy products.
- Correctly interprets physician’s orders, selects and measures appropriate ingredients, mixes ingredients in a safe and effective manner, inspects the final product for accuracy, suitability and elegance, labels the product, maintains records of the manufacturing process and prepares the product for delivery.
- Provides accurate, appropriate and timely information to physicians, nurses, patients and others regarding medication therapy, drug product guidelines, law and regulations, medication formulary and other topics related to medication use and control.
- Collects productivity information- number of prescriptions filled, fill times, pre-plans drug inventory.
- Manufactures uncomplicated and/or complicated parenteral chemotherapy preparations to be delivered in the finished form such as large volume, small volume, infusion syringe, infusion pump or other modality as required.
- Makes requisitions for drugs and supplies.
- Orders, receives, and maintains inventory of drugs and chemicals, and ensures their security.
- Helps maintain an orderly, clean environment including cleanliness of pharmacy stock and supplies in accordance with regulatory compliance requirements.
- Enters data into the computer system, recording prescriptions, purchase orders, stock orders, requisitions, and disbursements.
- Removes unneeded or outdated drugs from stock and prepares for return or disposal.
- Performs general clerical duties for the department.
- Adheres to all protocols, processes, policies, and procedures.
- Dispenses oral drugs using QS1.
- Ability to enter data into a computer to maintain records. Knowledge of pharmacy-based computer software and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, including drug orders.
- Knowledge of medical and pharmaceutical terminology.
Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor’s degree that included at least 24 semester hours of courses related to pharmacy or pharmacy technology
- Indiana State board of Pharmacy Technician Certificate or training permit or receipt of application from the Indiana State Board of Pharmacy or active Intern/Extern License issues by the Indiana State Board of Pharmacy
- Preferred: 3 years oncology pharmacy mixing in a busy clinical environment
- Able to lift 10 pounds for routine performance of essential functions.
- May have long periods of sitting and/or standing and walking.
- Frequent use of phone and computer.
- May be exposed to adverse indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, bloodborne pathogens, physical hazards (e.g., needle pricks, etc.) and chemical hazards.
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Come as you are. Here at Verdi Oncology, Inc, we want everyone to feel comfortable being their true, authentic selves at work. This means that we make all employment decisions based on business need, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard for race, gender, gender identity, sex, color, ethnicity, religion, family or parental status, disability, veteran or military status, or any other statuses protected by Federal laws or regulations or those in the locations where we operate. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation for all members of the team.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
"*" indicates required fields